History of the Tasmanian Deaf Society
- Founded in 1887 as 'The Society for the Benefit of the Tasmanian Blind and Deaf'.
- Later changed in 1897 to 'The Royal Tasmanian Society for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb'.
- The society acquired a premise at Argyle Street, Hobart in 1905 that was used for the welfare of Blind and Deaf adults.
- A review took place in 1986 that recommended that the society should separate and form into two organisations.
- These organisations were the Royal Guide Dogs and the Tasmanian Deaf Society.
- The Tasmanian Deaf Society was incorporated on 13 July 1987.
- The Society was abbreviated to become known as Tasdeaf.
- In 1991, a large house that would later become Tabor House was purchased with 3 acres for the creation of the Pleasant Pines aged care facility.
- In 1997 Tabor house was converted to become Tasdeaf offices until 2008.
Office location changes
- After the sale of Tabor house, Tasdeaf relocated its offices to Elizabeth St in North Hobart.
- In 2012, Tasdeaf opened offices in Launceston at 64 Cameron Street co-locating with Diabetes Tasmania.
- Tasdeaf moved its North Hobart office one last time in 2014 to its current premises at New Town.
Tasdeaf as it was previously known, has provided information, advocacy and support to Deaf Tasmanians since its start. With the introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme we now proudly offer a range of individual services in addition to our community support.
In 2016 Tasdeaf and Vicdeaf merged. This enabled a strong partnership, collaboration on services growing our services in Tasmania.
We later rebranded as Expression Australia, demonstrating our commitment to services in both states and beyond.